Inspire calling out for votes to bag a share of bag charge fund
Inspire is bidding to bag a massive cash boost from the Tesco Bags of Help initiative!
Tesco has teamed up with Groundwork to launch the monthly funding scheme, which sees grants of £5,000, £2,000 and £1,000 – all raised from the 5p bag levy – being awarded to local outdoor community projects. Three groups in every Tesco region have been shortlisted to receive the cash award and this month shoppers are being invited to head along to Tesco stores to vote for who they think should take away the top grant. Inspire has been chosen as one of the groups on the shortlist, so get to your local Tesco store and voting for us!
What will it fund?
The funding will help us repair our Tennis Courts to allow your local children to have FREE coached tennis sessions.
Our previous free tennis sessions for young people have shown the need for affordable professional tennis coaching accessible to all. Over half of respondents had not played tennis before and those that had, participated at school and not at other tennis clubs. Parents noted changes in participants’ self-esteem/confidence, health/fitness, attitude/behaviour and specifically commented that their child wants to continue to play tennis and another that has found enthusiasm for participating in sport. 40% of respondents would not have been engaged in any form of physical activity if they had not been attending ‘turn up and play tennis’.
These sessions create opportunities to help build confidence, teamwork, communication and respect. The courts are in poor condition and not fully utilised because of this. The surface needs cleaning and lines repainted, which this funding will help to pay for. Once renovated, the courts will be available for hire to the local community, as well as used by our charity for it’s programmes, which means more young people and adults in the community keeping active!
How to vote?
Voting is open in stores from 2 January to 28 January. Customers can cast their vote using a token given to them at the check-out in store each time they shop.
Tesco’s Bags of Help project has already delivered over £24 million to more than 2,400 projects up and down the UK. Tesco customers get the chance to vote for three different groups each month. At the end of each month, when votes are collected, three groups in each of Tesco’s regions will be awarded funding.
Lindsey Crompton, Head of Community at Tesco, said “We are absolutely delighted to open the voting for January. There are some fantastic projects on the shortlists and we can’t wait to see them come to life in hundreds of communities.”
Below is a list of stores where the initiative is running:
- ST JOHNS COLCHSTER EXPRESS (CO4 0NB)
- CROUCH ST COLCHESTER EXPRESS (CO3 3HH)
- BROMLEY RD COLCHESTER EXPRESS (CO4 3JF)
- COLCHESTER EXTRA (CO4 9ED)
- MANNINGTREE COLCHESTER EXPRESS (CO11 1AJ)
- THORPE LE SOKEN EXPRESS (CO16 0EA)
- HOLLAND ON SEA EXPRESS (CO15 5UH)
- COLCHESTER MAGDLN EXPRESS (CO1 2LA)
- COLCHESTER (CO1 2TE)
- CLACTON ON SEA EXPRESS (CO15 3DP)
- CLACTON (CO15 4EF)
- WALTN ON THE NAZE EXPRESS (CO14 8BJ)
- WEST MERSEA EXPRESS (CO5 8JG)
- BRIGHTLINGSEA EXPRESS (CO7 0AB)
- GREAT BENTLEY EXPRESS (CO7 8LA)
- TIPTREE (CO5 0SU)
- SUDBURY (CO10 1GY)
- IPSWICH NORWICH EXPRESS (IP1 4BP)
- IPSWICH DUKE ST EXPRESS (IP3 0BF)
- IPSWICH FOXHALL EXPRESS (IP3 8LH)
- WESTBOURNE IPSWCH EXPRESS (IP1 5BD)
- IPSWICH NACTON RD EXPRESS (IP3 9NA)
- IPSWICH ST MAT ST EXPRESS (IP1 3EW)
- MARTLESHAM EXTRA (IP5 3RU)
- IPSWICH KESGRAVE (IP5 2FU)
- FELIXSTOWE METRO (IP11 7AD)
- IPSWICH EXTRA (IP8 3TS)