NCS Assistant Wave Leader (Seasonal)
Inspire Suffolk have an exciting opportunity for you to join one of Suffolk’s most energetic youth charities this autumn.
Inspire Suffolk transforms the lives of young people across Suffolk through a range of education and development programmes, we are looking for dynamic and passionate people to join our NCS team this summer as Assistant Wave Leaders. You will be an organised and confident person, able to engage and support seasonal staff and a cohort of between 30 and 60 young people through an intensive Autumn programme, this role would be suited to someone who perhaps has teaching or advanced youth work experience.
The National Citizen Service (NCS) is a fantastic opportunity open to all 15 to 17-year-olds across England, providing them with skills and experiences that can’t be learnt in the classroom. We aim to support participants’ personal and social development and help provide them with the confidence, skills and attitudes to take on active roles within their communities and develop themselves as part of their transition into adulthood.
AIM OF THE ROLE: As part of the role you will work closely with the NCS Wave Leader to manage the NCS Team Leaders and Team Assistants whilst also encouraging, motivating and inspiring young people to make the most of their NCS experience and help them to develop transferable skills for their future.
MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES: Your main duties will include:
- To support the Wave Leader to manage and oversee the Team Leaders and Team Assistants on programme
- To build and maintain effective relationships with colleagues, any third parties who support NCS delivery.
- Engaging and building positive relationships with young people
- Working with the NCS staff team to deal with any challenging behaviour from young people.
- Taking the lead at times when a Team Leader or Assistant may be dealing with a young person or situation
- Being responsible for the safety and wellbeing of those under your supervision including staff, volunteers, and participants and ensure that young people complete all phases of the NCS programme
- Manage any safeguarding or health & safety incidents
- Ensure all staff follow, interpret, and deliver pre-made sessions in alignment with programme timetable
- Report to the Wave Leader about the progress of the team and any difficulties or challenging behaviour regularly
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE: To be successful in this role you will preferably have:
- Degree or equivalent
- First Aid Level 3
- Substantial experience of working directly with young people from a wide variety of backgrounds
- An understanding of Health and Safety, Safeguarding and data handling practices
- Experience of working in a residential setting with young people
- Understanding of local community needs
- Experience of planning, delivery and evaluation of activities for and with young people
- Experience and understanding of the issues affecting young people.
- Experience in managing challenging behaviour
- Knowledge of the NCS programme with preferable on programme experience
- Ability to work on your own initiative to an agreed action plan.
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential issues with tact and diplomacy
- Able to work within a flexible timetable
- To uphold and positively contribute to the credible reputation of Inspire Suffolk and the ethos of NCS, over the course of all activities associated with the NCS programme.
Dates Available for Ipswich and Halesworth programmes:
Wave 1 (Ipswich) – 2nd November to 19th November (11 days over 3 weeks)
Wave 2 (Halesworth) – 9th November to 26th November (11 days over 3 weeks)
Please state your preferred Wave within your application
Fixed rate of £1050 per wave
HOW TO APPLY: Please attach a CV and Covering letter and email to Garry Mills, Education Manager at [email protected] clearly explaining why you are applying for the role and how your experience matches what we are looking for in the job specification. As part of our NCS safer recruitment we also require you to register your interest on the NCS website https://wearencs.com/work-with-us/on-programme please select Inspire Suffolk as your preferred provider
The closing date for applications is the 6th October at 12pm, Interviews will take place on the 11th October