NCS Assistant Wave Leader (Seasonal)
Inspire Suffolk have an exciting opportunity for you to join one of Suffolk’s most energetic youth charities this summer.
Inspire Suffolk transforms the lives of young people across Suffolk through a range of education and development programmes, we are looking for a dynamic and passionate person to join our NCS team this summer as an Assistant Wave Leader. You will be an organised and confident person, able to engage and support up to 10 sessional staff and a cohort of up to 144 young people through an intensive two and three-week programme, this role would be suited to someone who perhaps has teaching or advanced youth work experience.
The National Citizen Service (NCS) is a fantastic opportunity open to all 15 to 17-year-olds across England, providing them with skills and experiences that can’t be learnt in the classroom. We aim to support participants’ personal and social development and help them develop the confidence, skills and attitudes they need to take on active roles in their communities and develop themselves for their own future.
AIM OF THE ROLE: As part of the role you will work closely with the NCS Wave Leader to manage the NCS Team Leaders and Team Assistants whilst also encouraging, motivating and inspiring young people to make the most of their NCS experience and help them to develop transferable skills for their future.
MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES: Your main duties will include:
- To support the Wave Leader to manage and oversee the Team Leaders and Team Assistants on programme
- To build and maintain effective relationships with colleagues, any third parties who support NCS delivery.
- Engaging and building positive relationships with young people
- Working with the NCS staff team to deal with any challenging behaviour from young people.
- Taking the lead at times when the Wave Leader is dealing with a young person or situation
- Being responsible for the safety and wellbeing of those under your supervision involved with the programme including staff, volunteers, and participants to complete all phases of the NCS programme
- To be required to work across both programmes and expected to partake in some on call duties during the overnight residential stay.
- Manage any safeguarding or health & safety incidents
- Ensure all staff follow, interpret, and deliver pre-made sessions in alignment with programme timetable
- Report to the Wave Leader about the progress of the team and any difficulties or challenging behaviour regularly
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE: To be successful in this role you will preferably have:
- A-levels or equivalent
- Substantial experience of working directly with young people from a wide variety of backgrounds
- An understanding of Health and Safety, Safeguarding and data handling practices
- Experience of working in a residential setting with young people
- Understanding of local community needs
- Experience of planning, delivery and evaluation of activities for and with young people
- Experience and understanding of the issues affecting young people.
- Experience in managing challenging behaviour
- Knowledge of the NCS programme with preferable on programme experience
- Ability to work on your own initiative to an agreed action plan.
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential issues with tact and diplomacy
- Able to work within a flexible timetable
- To uphold and positively contribute to the credible reputation of Inspire Suffolk and the ethos of NCS, over the course of all activities associated with the NCS programme.
Dates Required for Ipswich and Lowestoft programmes:
Wave 1 – 26th July – 13th July (3 week programme)
Wave 2 – 16th August – 27th August (2 week programme)
The 3 week programme includes a residential element and therefore applicants must be able to stay away from home for 4 nights during the first week of programme.
For a 3 week programme you can earn up to £1,610
For a 2 week programme you can earn up to £1,050
HOW TO APPLY: Please send a completed application form with a detailed covering letter highlighting the experience and qualities you believe you can bring to our charity, and email this to Garry Mills, Education Manager at [email protected]
The closing date for applications is the 24th May at 12pm, Interviews will take place on the 26th and 27th May.